Saturday 5 March 2011

Introducing popitdot.com :)

So after a long period of trial and error regarding my domain name I finally found one that was available and one that I like....popitdot.com

I wanted popit.com as the original domain name, but this had been taken. So instead, I added the word dot. The only annoyance I have with the domain name is explaining to people that the DOT is the word dot followed by a dot symbol. I hope this won't cause any issues when people come to type it into their browser or search engine.

After buying my domain name, I looked into purchasing hosting. I had planned to use SoulHosting. The Student Special package includes 


  • Unlimited Diskspace
  • Unlimited Bandwith
  • Unlimited Mail Boxes
  • Unlimited Sub Domains
  • 50 MySQL Databases
  • CGI/PHP Support
  • Powerful Control Panel
  • Free and Fast Support
Thanks to the student discount code we had been given for this site, the package was even cheaper. I managed to get my hosting completely free though. A good friend already had a hosting package with Host Monster which allowed him to host multiple domains, one of which is now popitdot.com. 


With the first two vital steps in setting up popitdot.com complete, I finally got round to the branding. I started with my logo. I wanted it to be aesthetically pleasing and illustrate exactly what the site is about...Pop Art. I got really good feedback when I sent out my questionairre about what people would like to see included in my site so decided it would be a good idea to create a poll on Facebook to see which font people prefered for the logo.





Based on the replies and my own design ideas, I decided to go with a font that is similar to the second font. I used the bold version of (). I duplicated the layer, coloured them 2 bright pop art colours and placed them on top of each other. I created different variations of the logo to see which had the best look, by adding strokes and graphics.




I have also been experimenting with wireframes to decide on the final design and colour scheme.